Can I Force the Sale of a Jointly Owned Property?

Force Sale of Jointly Owned Property

Updated March 15, 2022

If you co-own a property with another person or persons, what happens if one of you wants to sell and the other(s) don’t? 

As property prices have risen significantly faster than salaries, joint ownership has become popular. Married or cohabiting couples have been buying homes together for decades. Still, a growing number of people are seeking a “mortgage mate”, in the form of a friend or family member, to help them get their first foot onto the property ladder. 

Whatever the relationship between the co-owners, you might be wondering, “Can I force the sale of a jointly owned property?” — read on to find out the answer.

Tenants in Common

There are several ways people can own a property together. The most common being a “tenancy in common” and a “joint tenancy”. Both confer joint ownership, but some important differences will affect how easy it is to force the sale of the property. 

Tenants in common jointly own the property, but they may own a different percentage of it. For example, tenant A may own a 60% interest in the property, and tenant B owns 40%. However, ownership is 50:50 by default, and this is the most common scenario. Each party independently owns their interest in the property rather than both/all parties jointly owning the entire property. 

If one tenant no longer wants a stake in the property, they can either sell their share — to a new owner or one of the existing tenants — or force a sale of the whole property by applying to the court for an “Order for sale”

Joint Tenants

Joint tenants co-own the whole property rather than holding shares they can sell independently. 

If joint tenants disagree about whether to sell the property or not, the tenant who wishes to sell must change the joint tenancy into tenants in common by applying for a “notice of severance”. The Land Registry will also have to be informed to amend the title to the property.

If you’re not sure whether you have a tenancy in common or a joint tenancy, check with the Land Registry. It will charge £3 to provide the information you need. If the register includes the following words, “No disposition by a sole proprietor of the registered estate (except a trust corporation) under which capital money arises is to be registered unless authorised by an order of the court” and the names of the owners, you are tenants in common. 

“Can I Force the Sale of a Jointly Owned Property?” — Obtaining an “Order for Sale”

The process is fairly straightforward, and you can obtain an order for sale without appointing a solicitor. However, if there are added complications, such as resident dependents, it may be wise to seek legal advice.

The first step is to complete an N208 form. You will need to provide details of the outstanding debt and the estimated sale price and certain pieces of documentation, such as a witness statement that explains who the other owners are. 

The form will be submitted to your nearest county court, which will reach a judgement. If the order for sale is granted, you can then sell the property. The claimant can request that specific conditions be attached to the order, for example, a minimum sale price. 

The tenant or tenants who do not want to sell have the right to oppose the order and request that the claim is rejected or postponed. 

An Alternative to Court Action

If it is possible to reach an amicable agreement to sell, this is always preferable for everyone involved. 

Consider inviting a mediator to join the discussion. A mediator acts as someone objective who can facilitate discussions and help the tenants reach an agreement. Emotions may be running high, and an intermediary could calm the waters sufficiently to allow for constructive conversation and compromise. Professional mediation services are available. Alternatively, you may have a friend or acquaintance who has no affiliation to one party or the other who could step in to help.

Sell Your Property Fast

Whether you reach an amicable agreement to sell via mediation or obtain an order for sale, a quick house sale will help all parties to move on swiftly. If the decision to sell has been enforced by court order, there will likely be ongoing disagreement and tension between you and the other tenants. This could become increasingly unpleasant and stressful if you have to wait for months for the property to sell on the open market. 

Download our guide, “5 Reasons to Sell Off-Market”

Can You Sell a House if One Partner Refuses? FAQs

A. Joint tenants have equal rights to the property. You will need to sever the joint tenancy before either one of you can apply for an order of sale to force the other to sell.
A. Applying for an order of sale can take several months and if there are complications or the courts are particularly busy when you submit your application, it could take a lot longer. It’s not uncommon for the entire process to take as long as 18 months. And you may spend considerable time trying to reach an amicable agreement or going through mediation before you decide to apply.
A. This will depend on how long the court process takes, but it typically costs between £2,000 and £5,000 to force the sale of a house.

If you successfully obtain an order of sale for your house and want a quick sale, House Buyer Bureau has the funds to buy your property for cash in as little as 7 days. We offer slightly below market value, but there will be no estate agent or legal fees to pay.

Learn more about what we pay or get your free cash offer today.

Learn How To Sell Your House Fast

Cover for downloadable 10 Ways to Sell your house fast
Learn How To Sell Your House Fast

Get Your Free Cash Offer Today

Getting your no-obligation cash offer is easy. Just find your address and answer a few quick questions about your property. Sell your house in weeks instead of months and with zero hassle — you could even sell in as little as 7 days.

What Our Customers Say

Help & Advice

Get the latest updates in the ever-changing property market and read advice from our experts on selling a house fast, whether you’re wondering if you can sell a house if you’re in arrears, you want the best tips on selling after a divorce, or you want to download our checklists to make selling a house, easy.

Property Help and Advice

Below you will find our latest posts from our property news and tips blog.